Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Bullying-- source #1

http://www.tolerance.org/bullied



When I decided to research bullying, I looked through my notebook where I was reminded of the documentary film we watched that shows one student's journey through bullying which is called Bullied. I found the quick quiz we did regarding facts and myths about bullying and then realized that there is an entire site dedicated to not only the documentary film, but also bullying in general. I learned that the purpose of Bullied is to assist teachers and counselors to create a safer school atmosphere for all students. While the student in the film, Jamie, is bullied due to his sexual orientation, the film is to help everyone. Students who view the film must realize the terrible effects that bullying can have on people as well as the importance of standing up for classmates who are being teased.  After being reminded of the film's intended purposes, I found a great deal of information about bullying in general. The viewers guide of the film said that "Bullying happens when someone is subjected to negative actions from one or more people and has a hard time defending himself or herself." Furthermore, bullying can come in several forms, such as teasing, mocking or verbal abuse, punching, pushing or physical abuse, spreading false information,  excluding a particular person from a group and going against a person. I also learned that nearly one-third of American teens are involved in bullying; whether a person is bullying or being bullied, this is a troubling number to me. At DHS, I have not witnessed serious physical or verbal abuse, yet there is no doubt in my mind that it exists and is taking a toll on students everyday. Just as shocking as this statistic is that only 10-20% people who try to help the students who are being bullying. Although I have not seen serious bullying occur at DHS, when I think of bullying occurring right in front of me, I cannot help but think I would feel empathy and would want to do something to make it step.  T.C. Largaespada, a social worker at youth shelter, said “I’ve often wondered about the kids who watched [the bullying] happen—why they didn’t say anything, how they felt about what was going on?” This quote resonated me because it just makes me frustrated and upset that people do not want to help out peers who are being bullying. Although I do not witness a great deal of bullying, it is clear that bullying exists. Therefore, we must find ways to stop it, to make school a safer place. The viewer handbook provides action steps for educators to take in order to stop bullying.  If we see or hear any trace of bullying taking place, we must stop the bullying instantly, and additionally, offer guidance to any peers on how to intervene rightfully. If we see or learn a series of bullying occurring, it is important for the staff of school to discuss the behavior and agree on a course of action.  These small actions can help to make school a safer and happier place for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment